Thursday, September 20, 2012

I'm A Set Costumer Now!


Above is a picture from the set of a TV show I've been working on as a dayplayer set-costumer, taken by my terrible camera phone! After my last job ended I wasn't sure where I'd wind up but a series of very fortunate events led me to what has been my first experience working on set. I must say, it's a lot different than working in theater and a bit of a relief compared to being a PA. Paying your dues (metaphorically and literally seeing as there are union dues) DOES pay off!

Unfortunately, I have no interviews to attach to this post but I will share some of the best and most unique advice I was ever given by somebody in the business, an assistant costume designer who I believe is now working on the new show Infamous. I received it in college for a school project and it has stuck with me ever since.

"Decide what you want. Do you want to be a big fish in a little pool or a small fish in a big pool?"

I think I like the little pools much better but every once in a while it's exciting to go play around in a big pool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment