Sunday, January 16, 2011

Why Am I Blogging?

Most people who know me know I've done a lot of internships. But not everybody knows exactly what these internships entailed. In college I was a double major in Fashion Studies and Theater Production/Design. The Fashion Studies major was my original major but later became more of a backup filled with lots of business classes that I hated. When seeking out internships, I looked for those based in production. The summer before my junior year I went away to Cooperstown, NY to work as a wardrobe intern for Glimmerglass Opera. For the next couple of years I began a trend of going away to do summer stock in the summers while working production internships in the city during the school year. My first internship in the city was in the costume department of the television show "Rescue Me" and from then on I just couldn't stop. Since that internship, I went on to intern in the costume departments of the television shows "White Collar" for a short period of time and "Royal Pains" which saw me interning for the same group of people as "Rescue Me." Obviously, I liked that group of girls to go back and intern for them a second time around and it paid off, literally. The next year they started calling me back to do paid work as a PA here and there. Also through a connection on"Rescue Me," I got an internship on the movie The Other Guys with Will Ferrell that was just released last summer. It was through all these internships that I learned how much work and how many people are necessary in making movies and TV shows and I feel as if these people's work are not featured enough, and not nearly highlighted as much as that of the actor. Don't get me wrong, I love actors. I've spent countless hours worrying about them when working in wardrobe. But there are so many other people behind the scenes and that is what this blog will be focusing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment